Old Grammar School

  • Shop

Built around 1200AD as the first church for the settlement that grew up around Castle Rushen.  Later becoming a school for boys as it is now depicted. It is the oldest roofed structure still standing on the Isle of Man today.

Opening Times

Open for events and pre-booked groups by special request.


Free – donations welcome

Things to do and see

The building survives today thanks to a preservation order being placed on it in the 1950’s by the Manx Museum Trustees in order to save it from the fate of the surrounding streets which were being demolished to make way for the car park.

Built originally in 1200AD as the first church for the settlement that grew up around Castle Rushen, the building was later developed as a boys’ school.

Inside its Romanesque arches date back to the 13th Century when the building was the Chapel of St. Mary, today its interior depicts the later Victorian school room.


Essential Info

Please note

The Old Grammar School is open exclusively for school workshops, pre-booked groups and special events by prior arrangement.

Back to top