150 years of Manx Railways
The first passenger railway on the Isle of Man opened between Douglas and Peel on 1 July 1873, and the system soon expanded to serve Port Erin, Ramsey and Foxdale. The Douglas Bay Horse Tramway opened in 1876 and in 1893 the Manx Electric Railway joined Douglas to Groudle, later reaching Laxey and Ramsey. Meanwhile, the Douglas Southern Electric Tramway, the Upper Douglas Cable Tramway and the Groudle Glen Railway were added the network. This volume examines the story of the island’s railway, tramway and industrial systems, with an informative text supported by detailed maps, fleet lists and a broad selection of illustrations.